Under the supervision of the Senior Director of Engineering & Facilities Maintenance, the Design Engineer manages and implements the design of multiple capital and facilities design programs of the Georgia Ports Authority consistent with the policies and directives of the GPA. Provides design expertise in architectural, civil, electrical, mechanical and structural engineering to support other staff elements as required. Works within the constraints of budgets and analyses prepared by the GPA staff and approved by the Authority. Directs and guides the consulting program managers with design elements and their implementation within the capital improvement and facilities maintenance program.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Plans, assigns, guides and reviews the work of program managers engaged in the planning and design of the capital improvement program.
2. Establishes guidelines for reviewing program manager’s plans and specifications, policies and procedures to ensure the designs adhere to GPA standards, operations and the International Building Code. Coordination with GPA Strategic Operations and Container Operations on project designs is required.
3. Identifies, evaluates and makes recommendations on all GPA capital and facilities improvement designs as to resources necessary for policy and directive implementation.
4. Establishes, monitors, and controls all design budgets related to capital improvements and facilities maintenance as approved by the Senior Director of Engineering & Facilities Maintenance.
5. Maintains current knowledge of various regulations and laws as they may relate to port activities in general; and specifically, the current International Building Code.
6. Provides input into engineering and technical activities of GPA including the development and preparation of budgets, planning documents, studies and conceptual designs.
7. Develops and supervises execution of the design improvements for all GPA properties.
8. Develops and monitors capital program and facilities design improvements to ensure that they adhere to GPA safety programs.
9. Reviews and approves the design criteria for capital projects and facilities maintenance selection.
10. Supervises the preparation for design specifications of bids for all capital improvement projects and facilities maintenance service contacts. Reviews detailed information as to services, materials, equipment, etc., as required to adhere to design criteria within the International Building Code. Meets with program managers to provide guidance and assistance prior to receipt of project bids. Reviews bids submitted for compliance with specifications. Participates in bid opening procedures.
11. Establishes and monitors key design performance indicators for all capital projects to ensure minimal design changes during construction and conduct regular briefings with the Senior Director of Engineering and Maintenance.
12. Performs other duties as required.